Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Welcome 2008.

2008 is going to end its first day of the year. To tell you the truth, I have no new year resolutions. Well, I had one, but it was destroyed as soon as my cousin switched to one of the channels that highlighted new year concert/celebration. The resolution was not to watch any new year concert/celebration/countdown.

Since I have no new year resolutions, I am just going to reflect last year's resolution.

Well, I was cheated by some group of men, (resolution #1 does not mean in the world of 'percintaan', but by any man). The computer/maintenance people did not come when they said they will. I eventually did some dieting (didn't turn out well, by the way). I still procrastinate (started TECC assignment 3 days before the handing in date, not to forget the non-sleeping Sunday nights/Monday mornings so that I can hand in the drafts of the dissertation by Monday noon). I think I did more reading, especially for the Comparative Education module. I stopped doing my reading log a few days after resolution #5 was made. I did not exercise, well, I considered shopping as exercising. So, at least I may have burnt some fat. I did stop complaining, and whenever I started to complain about things, I remind myself to stop. I did do things sincerely, though at times I still feel irritated as I was the only one doing certain things. I did not manage to travel to other places. I did get a part time job as a student ambassador and a mail sorter. I did find some time every day to read the Quran after Maghrib or Isya', but I did not read the translation to the verses. Finally, I don't know whether I have become a better person inside out. That, I have to ask opinion of others. :D

So, I still have no new year resolution. Everyday is a new day anyway, so you can make new resolution every day as you wish.

On a serious side.

I was fairly disappointed with the kind of celebrations that we have in our country. Concerts, gathering of men and women, countdowns, etc. It does not reflect the Islamic country that we claim ourselves to be. Yesterday itself, there was about 4 to 5 concerts being aired on the television, and those concerts were in KL alone. And in today's Harian Metro, there was a full page coverage on the celebration and only a small section on the Bacaan Yassin to welcome the new year in Melaka. There was an Islamic forum and nasyid performance held in the mosque next to KLCC, but I guess some people would prefer to choose to attend the concert at KLCC, for it was the entertainment that they were looking for. Buletin Utama highlighted that social problems have emerged each and everytime new year is celebrated. Well, it is pretty clear anyway. These problems emerged every year but still we still have concerts and celebrations to welcome the new year. You know the impacts of these sorts of events but you still hold it anyway. So why bother saying that we still have the 'ketimuran' in us, when everything that we do is all 'kebaratan'.

And there's this sending mat rempit to Kutub Utara by Pemuda UMNO. ??!!??. And a plan to use mat rempits to bring the voters to the voting centres in the next election. Again, ??!!??. May I suggest that we recruit all these mat rempits to become delivery guy for Mcdonalds, KFCs and Pizza Huts. Or FedEx, Nationwide Express, DHL, UPS can recruit them as despatchers. Maybe all the kedai mamak can have their own delivery guy too. At least these mat rempits have a long term job, rather than something that they will do only once in five years.

Let us see what kind of news we are going to get tomorrow. And I'm sure we all gonna be surprised, well, maybe not.

Happy new year.


2 comments:

soyasofya said...

v3
sgt setuju psl konserto2 tu... lama2 dh jd mende yg menyakitkan mata dan telinga.

Alin Yussuff said...

itulah.
sikit2 masalah sosial.
tak sedar ke punca masalahnya benda yang depa dok buat tu lah.
adeh hai.